DreamWorks Animation’s Favorite Characters Headline All-New Universal Studios Hollywood Attraction, Kicking off with Kung Fu Panda in 2018 as The Entertainment Capital of L.A. Continues to Debut an Exciting Slate of New Theme Park Programs and CityWalk Establishments in 2017
It’s an exciting time at Universal Studios Hollywood as the #1 tourist destination in Los Angeles introduces compelling new theme park attractions and noteworthy new Universal CityWalk establishments. Click here to see what’s new.
Below highlights what’s on the horizon in 2018 at Universal Studios Hollywood even as the Entertainment Capital of L.A. continues to unveil dynamic new opportunities for the remainder of 2017:
- With DreamWorks Animation’s recent acquisition, Universal Studios Hollywood will soon roll out the red carpet for a unique, never before seen DreamWorks Theatre attraction. Opening in 2018, this newly designed venue will play host to a variety of action-packed DreamWorks Animation themed attractions beginning with the multi-sensory adventure inspired by the global blockbuster franchise Kung Fu Panda, and created in partnership with Universal Creative and DreamWorks’ Artists. This new technologically advanced attraction will take guests on a legendary journey that fuses captivating storytelling with state-of-the art projection mapping and LED lighting effects for a highly engaging and immersive, unstoppable-awesome experience.
Meet the lovable DreamWorks characters that will join Universal Studios Hollywood beginning in summer 2017 to entertain guests and pose for memorable photos. Newly introduced characters will include: Kung Fu Panda’s Po and Tigress; Madagascar’s Alex the Lion, The Penguins—Skipper, Rico, Kowalski and Private, and King Julian;Trolls’ Poppy and Branch; Shrek’s Puss ‘n Boots will join existing characters Shrek and Fiona. These many new entertaining characters will join the vast array of Universal Studios Hollywood’s many other diverse walk-about characters.
- Hello Kitty, the beloved global pop icon created by the Japanese company Sanrio, joins Universal Studios Hollywood in 2018. Hello Kitty and her signature red bow, along with more Sanrio friends including My Melody, Keroppi, and Chococat, will be featured on park-exclusive merchandise including accessories, apparel, collectibles, and confectionery. Highlights of the exclusive product offerings include designs incorporating classic Universal titles such as Jaws, ET, Back to the Future and more. Hello Kitty herself will also appear to meet and greet guests.
Universal CityWalk Hollywood’s NEWEST Additions:
- World-renowned filmmaker, Steven Spielberg headlined the grand opening of Universal CityWalk’s multi-million dollar Universal Cinema renovation and shined the spotlight on the state-of-the-art venue as the place to “see movies where movies are made.” Featuring screening room quality theatres, deluxe recliner seats, next generation sight and sound achievements and a trendy Director’s Lounge cocktail bar, the all-new Universal Cinema redefines the movie-going experience, setting it apart as a category leader.
“As a filmmaker, we create movies that invite moviegoers to enter other worlds, even if it’s just for a couple of hours. In the best case scenario, the movie-going experience and its venue are on par with the movie that you came to enjoy. Universal Cinema defines advancement and technology with this incredible new movie theatre. I am happy to be here at Universal CityWalk to join the official opening of the Universal Cinema, where movie-goers have a rare opportunity to see movies at the very place where movies are made.”
—Steven Spielberg, filmmaker
- Jimmy Buffett and the Coral Reefer Band took center stage performing at the grand opening of Universal CityWalk Hollywood’s newest dining experience, Jimmy Buffett’s Margaritaville. The first-ever Los Angeles-based location invites guests to escape the everyday and dine within a casual seaside retreat environment amid palm trees, thatched enclaves, island music and surfboard tables. The venue’s expansive 5 O’Clock Somewhere Bar features such hand-crafted cocktails and signature margaritas as the Who’s to Blame® Margarita or the 5 O’Clock Somewhere boat drink while live music and entertainment complement the dining experience featuring such signature dishes as LandShark Lager Fish & Chips, Jimmy’s Jammin’ Jambalaya ®, Volcano Nachos or a Cheeseburger in Paradise ®.
- Voodoo Doughnut casts a spell on Universal CityWalk Hollywood with its decadent and eclectic palate-pleasing pastry creations that range from Bacon Maple Bar and Oh Captain, My Captain to Grape Ape, Mango Tango and its signature Voodoo Doll doughnuts. This first-ever California location serves up delicious traditional and vegan out-of-this-world sweet and savory treats inspired by its hometown Portland, Oregon location.
- Inspired by celebrated restaurant Meizhou Dongpo and its renowned and innovative owners, Chef Mr. Wang and his wife Mrs. Liang, Dongpo Kitchen serves authentic Sichuan cuisine in the first-ever U.S. casual dining concept exclusive to Universal CityWalk Hollywood. Offering both indoor and al fresco dining, the CityWalk restaurant caters to Southern Californians and guests visiting from around the globe with a variety of tantalizing signature dishes, from Dongpo fried noodles, roasted duck salad, spicy chicken to specialty beverages such as dragon well green tea and roasted oolong milk tea.